Becka took me out to Morton's tonight and then to see It's Complicated. I liked them both.
Morton's was pretty much like I expected - a bit of a mix. The entrance set the tone for the evening; a heavy wooden door lit gently by lanterns warmly welcomed you into a stale triangular entry way with whitewashed walls spotted with dusty photos and award plaques. The food was generally good; I disliked my tasteless salad and the onion-covered potato bread (think onion bagel), loved the filet and spinach/mushrooms (en beure, of course), thought the rest was fine. Stuffed when I left.
Which made the popcorn at the movie more difficult. Streep was as good as she always is; so convincing in her portrayal that Becka pointed out that you forgot she was actually acting. I liked her character arc. Baldwin was good too, if a little less believable. He got some great lines, including the one I've been using for the last three weeks whenever the occasion presents itself, "OMG I thought he'd never leave" and the one I will now use whenever possible, "I love when you smell like butter."
John Krasinski (The Office's Jim) was actually able to hold his own. I did not love, however, most of the other actors, although Steve Martin was decent in his role as the pathetic third wheel architect.
Most of the criticism for It's Complicated seems to center around the fact that Nancy Meyers keeps making movies targeted for the over-40 woman: What Women Want, Something's Gotta Give, etc. I liked both those movies, so I don't really have any problem with that. I think what made this one work was Streep and Baldwin, just like what made WWW work for me was Mel Gibson and Jack Nicholson makes every movie work for me.
Anyways, I'll cross one off the list. Another movie tomorrow, perhaps.
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment